Monday, June 16, 2008

Pre-Buckskin

First of all, I read about Buckskin Gulch in Backpacker magazine as the best slot canyon hike in the country. So this is why I chose to make this a stop on our epic journey. The drive towards Buckskin was just about as pretty as the drive to the North Rim, but it fell a little short. I knew the trailhead was on a smaller road off the highway, but I really wasn't ready for what we about to go on. I saw a dirt road that drove off into the middle of nothing. It was right where our turn was supposed to be, so I told Steve to pull onto the road. I got out, read the sign, felt pretty confident, and so we headed off at no more then 20 mph. We were a little nervous because we had take this road about 10 miles in and when you are driving that slow in the middle of nowhere, 10 miles might as well been 100. When I finally saw a sign that said Buckskin Gulch, I was very relieved because even though I was 95% certain we were on the right road, there was still that 5% of uncertainty. So we set up camp in the middle of the desert, ate our delicious dehydrated meals (seriously they are tasty), and went to sleep under a blanket of 1,000,000,000,000 stars, it was awesome.

No comments: