Saturday, July 5, 2008

The End

Driving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia is a drive I probably should have done at some point in my life, but never did. This drive wasn't terribly exciting, but I started seeing places that I knew and recognized. There wasn't much conversation between the three of us on the trip. I think we were all feeling a little awkward because it was all coming to an end. During the trip, we had accumulated our "Hit List" on the iPods. We ended the drive with our hits, and usually we would be belting it out, but this time it was a little quieter. Turning onto my street, I had a billion thoughts flying through my head. Pulling up to my house, it almost felt like everything in the past five weeks was a blur/dream. It was great to see everyone again. Steve and Joe stayed for dinner and then we watched some of the Phillies game for the first time in over a month. I drove Steve and Joe back to Steve's house and we said our goodbyes. Steve's mom had a "Welcome Home" banner in the window, it was pretty funny. I am definitely going to miss the non-stop fun that we had. But at this point, everything was feeling a little anti-climatic. More the fact that in a matter of miles I was on the trip of my life, and then it was over. As I was driving on 95 I started seeing fireworks going off all around. Now if you look at the itinerary you will see that the last day would involve fireworks. I could do nothing but laugh to myself and get a big smile knowing that this was the end that I wanted. This was my curtain call. It was definitely a pick me up and made me feel a little better. Finished my drive home with fireworks still going off. I got home, laid in my own bed without Joe or Steve next to me, and turned on my TV. Mostly I just thought about the trip, and eventually dozed off to sleep.

No comments: